Feedback Server Restarts?

Discussion in 'Server Feedback' started by ZigZach, Feb 27, 2015.

1. ZigZach

ZigZach Greasy Bacon

BCash: ß 500
    Are there any set times for server restarts? There are sessions when I play that run pretty well, aside from occasional spikes, and then other times it's just constant lag. Is this only due to the instability caused by the recent update, or is the server only manually restarted?

2. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord Sizzling Bacon

50%
    We are really sorry for these unexpected crashes and restarts, this is usually because the projectile spammers are attacking spawn or the server machine is having troubles.

Please remember that the unstable update broke multiplayer so we have little control over the server crashes and restarts.

3. Ignify

Ignify Tasty Club Crispy Bacon

35%
    Bacon actually has some scripts that restart the server when it's down.

4. ZigZach

ZigZach Greasy Bacon

I don't mind a restart now and then if it will reduce lag. Multiple restarts a day wouldn't bother me in the least, just let us know when they will happen :)

5. Mett

Mett Tasty Club Crispy Bacon

35%
    Well, you're right in some ways. Yeah projectile spammers hurt stuff, and the update does too. However, there's also other questions to ask. Does the person have excessive drawables in their inventory? Does the person have a wonked out player file? Like, there's so many contributing factors you may never truly know the cause of lag unless you get into a deep investigation. I know most of the time the server runs fine. Could it be his computer?

6. Max Bacon

Max Bacon Tasty Owner Bacon Chief RP Manager Tasty Club

BCash: ß 140
    We don't know when it happens, starbound crashes are random, sometimes can even happen multiple times in only 1 minute. The lag spikes and this crashes forcing frequent restarts are starbound server software itself problems, out of our control to improve it.

7. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord Sizzling Bacon

50%
    We are talking about server crashes and restarts, which happen to multiple people, not just this one person.

8. Derek Love

Derek Love Cooked Bacon

80%
    Yeah, in a middle of an expedition? Your teammates suddenly freezes midair and the map stops loading. It takes ten minutes for those types of crashes or restarts to ACTAULLY take you to "Server client not valid anymore!" Page. They happen rarely, but are really annoying. The Broadcast could tell us players when it crashes if they can. Since any M+ can go Broadcast.

9. Ignify

Ignify Tasty Club Crispy Bacon

35%
    Actually, we can't do that anymore since that was part of the old wrapper, which now does not work one bit with the new update.

10. ZigZach

ZigZach Greasy Bacon

My computer and internet connection are fine, I'm using a wired connection with 32 Mbps down, and 6 Mbps up. Also the heavy lag sessions I'm talking about are experienced by the people I'm playing with as well. I feel like my original post was somewhat misunderstood. I've played many other games online using private servers, and a common feature among them are scheduled restarts to conserve resource usage. Those are what I was asking about, if this server has scheduled restarts in place. I'm not a network admin or anything, but it seems to me that a scheduled restart would decrease the chance of a server crash compared to a server that is always up. This is not a verbal attack towards this particular server, or even an attempt at getting an apology. I'm simply posing a question, and looking for insight. Stuff happens with updates, I understand, especially for beta games, but I'm just wondering if scheduled restarts my reduce the frequency of crashes, or perhaps lighten the load during those times of heavy lag (not spikes, constant lag).

11. Max Bacon

ZigZach this is pretty much caused by the stage starbound itself is and the lack of atention from multiplayer. The sessions of lag, chat not working and general delays are a problem with multiplayer servers and usually one warning of a crash or complete networking failure incoming. This is not a "restart will fix it" kind of thing, issues may happen just some minutes after it started, and it's usually like that, is very rare with over 10-15 players online the server to last 1hour without facing the networking failure (the constant lag that timesout your connection) or crash.
    Before this last update we quite had more stability, we could have up to 5hours uptime without actually face lag, sadly with the Upbeat Giraffe is just out of our control to help it. =/

12. ZigZach

ZigZach Greasy Bacon

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was asking. I'll just know to wrap up my session when that lag sets in.

13. Max Bacon

Yes sadly all we can do is get used to the problems till the developers finally support this problems, and we can stabilize the servers more.