I'd Appreciate if you guys stopped using my Power Armor sprite.

Jan 3, 2019
Oh you are mistaken. I didn't give it to anyone else besides Warborn and anyone visiting RP planets which they might find it on. So it would be found only by players of the game.

Keep it rasta, guys. Let go of all that STRESS XD

Jan 3, 2019
Anyway, I only use the power armor on two characters; Bandit(who you made it for originally) and Siabtu(who it looks awesome on).

I still think the armor looks great, and since it was a gift, I'll do with it what I want.

Kishin Crona

Starbound Watcher
Tasty Club
Nov 29, 2018
I would suggest to at least take the Creators wishes into thought and no longer distribute the armor. You even stated that you would no longer give it out yourself earlier.

Jan 3, 2019
I would suggest to at least take the Creators wishes into thought and no longer distribute the armor. You even stated that you would no longer give it out yourself earlier.
Maybe I'll include it in a grab-bag of goodies I give out to noobs. It's none of your concern what I do with it. I don't give back gifts unless it'll save a life or something.

Derrick

Roleplay Organizer
Roleplay Monitor
Dec 3, 2018
Coolsville USA, baby.
epic.com
It's not about giving anything back, but it seems to me that you'll continue to hand it out despite Staff suggestion and the creator asking not to, solely out of spite. I did not name you specifically in this thread so that this issue could have been avoided, yet you've gone out of your own way to cause it anyway. Do what you will; I'll be filing a report soon enough.

Katheryn Miles

Community Administrator
Administrator
Starbound Moderator
Event Organizer
Nov 29, 2018
I have hidden several posts due to abusive language. Please keep the forum discussions civil; you have the power to keep them interesting and productive. I would not like to need to give any forum warnings for such behavior. D=

As for the discussion itself, I posted this in one of the staff channels regarding the issue:

Regarding custom items and other creations, I find it to be very similar to intellectual property ... . It is possible for a particular creation to be shared with a particular individual, and it is possible for that individual to then share it with others - or even illegitimately acquire the creation, as item thieves often do.

In Starbound's context, the problems are that copyrights do not exist as easily, if at all, and that creations are generally not sold to others, causing - as others described it - "self-entitlement" to be more common. Even so, WhatThePuckPT posed a very good analogy; it is very similar to art theft, for example.

I believe that the best way to address item thefts is to continue taking action in the ways that the moderators do, including by banning the thief and having the item removed by others; taking credit for another's creation, regardless of whether the item was willingly shared, is also something that the moderators respond to. As for publicly sharing privately-shared items, our best solution is to simply raise awareness of such behavior in an attempt to encourage more care with one's trust.

Essentially, disrespecting others' creations in Starbound is very similar to disrespecting others' intellectual property elsewhere, whether the act/s in question includes copying, taking credit for, or unauthorized distribution of the creation/s in question. As mentioned in the quote that I shared, the moderators can take action against item thefts with bans and orders for others to remove the copies of the stolen item, against stealing credit by clarifying the correct author and 'removing' the impostor, and against unauthorized distribution simply by raising awareness of how to properly trust others with these creations (which our community can certainly help with as well).

For those who believe in sharing, it is important to remember to be courteous to others. Some people are in fact interested in sharing what they created, while others wish for privacy. A good way to remember this is to place this in one's own perspective; in other words, imagine what you would think if you were to create a work of art, which somebody else reacts to by copying, plagiarizing, re-posting, or going as far as selling it themself - all while posing it as sharing and attempting to "shove it down your throat".

With that said, anybody who has had any of these problems is welcome and encouraged to submit a report. Even if the moderators cannot take action immediately, there is generally no harm in reporting any possible thefts or sharing any evidence that one finds; when they can take action, a report will ensure that the thief is hindered or stopped.

Jan 3, 2019
I never had any problem crediting 'The Courier' with the creation of the armor. He may as well be a different person entirely though, than Derrick. When the Courier made the armor for me(for Bandit) he knew very well I had intended to seed my planets with it's pieces, for adventurers to find.

Jan 3, 2019
You are free to lie about it, IDC. You built on my world 2 years ago, and you made the Bandit's Power armor. I told you I would distribute the armor to those who needed it. If you've forgotten, it's not my problem.