More Strict bans, and more difficult Ban Appeals.

Discussion in 'General Server Discussion' started by Cobra47, Dec 11, 2016.

?

Why do people return from bans so quickly? Is it:

1. Lenient Administration

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Small Consequences?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Easy to avoid Punishments?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other (Attach a comment if you believe there is a reason that is not listed here)

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobra47

Cobra47 Greasy Bacon

80%
    BCash: ß 500
    Look, we all know how it is. There are people getting banned for multiple offences, being unbanned in the next hour. This is not a strong enough deterrent. There are multiple cases of this happening especially in Starbound. If I may ask, why are these bans so lenient? and what can we do to make them more effective?

I propose at ban time of 1 hour(the default) the next ban 12 hours, and the third ban permanent.
    The Fourth ban should also be permanent, but should not be available for Appeals, as it makes permanent bans pointless.

Anyone with more ideas (along with more examples of who seem to slip through the cracks)
    Please make your voices heard here, and help me make Starbound a little more bearable for the people who follow the listed rules.

2. Alfred

Alfred Cooked Bacon

30%
    Remember people can possibly use VPNS, and change there ip address to avoid bans..

3. Cobra47

Cobra47 Greasy Bacon

80%
    True. But another ban hammer should fix the problem perfectly. It's alot easier to ban someone then it is to set up a new VPNS.

4. Max Bacon

Max Bacon Tasty Owner Bacon Chief Tasty Club ILB Official RP

60%
    Hello,

Our moderation system is working as intended, we do keep enforcing the rules, kicking/temp-banning/perm-banning as necessary, as well processing unban appeals. ILB works via warnings (usually via kicks) > 1h temp-ban > perm-ban, the case of bad mods it's directly perm-ban to avoid further harm to the server stability.

Our staff does not play out by situations as people reporting, sometimes even as a group of specific users to get them banned (we don't like you, we'll pull strings to get you banned); due that, the reasoning of ban requests fall upon reporting and providing proof on such to let the staff take the best decisions, independent of the reasoning or personal opinions of our users towards a specific situation or player; we work dependent of the rules set to be enforced instead.

Same goes to unbans as it goes to bans, as it's obvious if we give second chances to perm-banned users (as we are far more frequently rolling out permabans), further offenses will not be taken lightly. The ban system is as effective as it can be and on the scale of activity of this server this is a constant ongoing process. As for the RP HUBs, the whitelist will filter out most abuse, RP Moderation will deal with that area once the time arrives, so I am not worried as some specific problems do have improvements on the works.

As for the thread, I am afraid I do have to lock it due the nature of the discussion to be about our moderation practices (as per rule 7. of our community guidelines). Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.