No Thanks Can we get a discord server?

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by angusjule, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angusjule

angusjule Fresh Raw Bacon

50%
    BCash: ß 500
    Simply, it would be a lot easier to chat off the server with the discord app/webapp. It works really well and I think ilb server would really benefit from it.

2. Max Bacon

Max Bacon Tasty Owner Bacon Chief RP Manager Tasty Club

BCash: ß 20
    Hello, we already have a integrated chat system on our community, as well a teamspeak server.

Discord does not bring anything to the table that we don't have on a chatting platform.

3. Nope Too Fast

Nope Too Fast Cooked Bacon Sage Sages

70%
    ...except from being a chatting platform that's actually good

[​IMG]

angusjule and Joe. like this.
  4. Max Bacon

Our own works as it should, it is fully integrated on the website and its users as well, that is always better over actually depend on external services.
    Future updates that roll into chat will add more functions and other improvements

5. Nope Too Fast

70%
    ...yes, but there are people that have discord, who like discord, who use discord and prefer discord to most other mediums for reasons.

it's about availability and community reach. not additional/unique function.

angusjule likes this.
  6. Max Bacon

That heights on segregation of community instead of focus on what we already have. Discord would work better if it had a better voice system or more focus on it, as it could help peeps move from teamspeak, but it's mostly for text chat.

ICDeadPixels likes this.
  7. Maggy Vanillapie~

Maggy Vanillapie~ Cooked Bacon B.A.D. Bacons

25%
    Well have fun with the inferior program then! hohoo

angusjule likes this.
  8. ICDeadPixels

ICDeadPixels Detective Pixie Bacon Manager R&D Team

43%
    BCash: ß 100
    I think Discord is inferior. The voice chat is abysmal. TeamSpeak has far better audio quality and is just as free as discord. TeamSpeak does pretty much everything Discord does but has a paid mobile app. Not only that, TeamSpeak has plugins like the TastyBot to listen to music with. Discord has nothing like that. Ultimately, Discord just fails to do what TeamSpeak does. TeamSpeak focuses on voice and Discord focuses on chat. I'd pick voices any day.

9. Magicks

Magicks Bacon Manager RP Manager

80%
    I mean no one is stopping people with discord making rooms peer to peer, which is why people like discord, as I believe has already been mentioned : discord is an external service. Teamspeak 3 and the site chat are hosted on our machine by us, discord is not hosted by us it is hosted externally by the company that owns it. This makes it attractive to small guilds on mmos and small communities who can't afford to offer a teamspeak server but, for communities that have space for a teamspeak server which has much better and securer permission and plugin support it makes no sense to use discord. The site chat is community driven since the majority of members voted for it/donated for it. From an administration point of view, discord is limited and doesn't have as much control as either the site chat or teamspeak. I may also point out we had a trial discord for a day or two and people found the voice quality abysmal and basic.

Jtl500, angusjule, Corpericle and 2 others like this.
  10. Joe.

Joe. Crispy Bacon

95%
    Nah fam, Ventrillo has the best chat system, and superb voice chat.

It's [​IMG]

11. Corpericle

Corpericle Cooked Bacon

80%
    It's really a matter of opinion, which do you prefer? An underpowered chat room that has optional voice chat that makes you sound like you are standing next to a white noise generator at max volume while using a mic with no noise canceling properties whatsoever, or would you prefer a voice focused and chat secondarily focused professional software that can be easily integrated into websites for use of the community.
    I personally choose teamspeak, although I do occasionally use discord for smaller group chats, it is easily replaced by steam chat, which also has group capabilities, and is arguably more accessible than discord, since you can also directly integrate steam into websites for use of the community. With discord you have to make a new passcode for EVERY new member that wants to join on the server, with steam it's as easy as just sending them a message that automatically inputs that person into the group.
    Teamspeak however can best be described as a valedictorian who went to Harvard to study 2 majors in communication, one in audio communication, the other in written communication. Furthermore Teamspeak got a masters in both and finished top of his class.
    Discord is the guy that was competing with teamspeak since they were children, discord did not get valedictorian and was pissed about that, discord then had to settle for Yale, and soon fell behind in his classes to unknown reasons. Discord took twice as long as teamspeak to finish his degrees and ended up with a bachelor's in written communication, and a self proclaimed degree in audio communication.

12. Nope Too Fast

70%
    (discord is still in development though)

13. Corpericle

Corpericle Cooked Bacon

80%
    Then add a correction, Discord is still in college, and has yet to finish his basics.

14. angusjule

angusjule Fresh Raw Bacon

50%
    The cool thing about discord is that usually, people play more than one game. You can be part of a lot of servers. Like terraria folk are on discord, league folk, dota folk, smash folk. It just seems like loads of gamers are using discord now. I've already connected with people who play starbound through it on smash servers. I don't know, it just seems useful. I don't think it's something that any of the staff should knock straight away. In a few months, it may make more sense to get a discord server going.

15. Magicks

Magicks Bacon Manager RP Manager

80%
    I'm going to lock this because as I've stated we aren't going to set up a discord right now. Perhaps in the distant future it may offer some kind of dedicated server, until then no.